Describes the process for downloading and installing the freeware program MinGW, typically used by Computer Engineering and Computer Science students
Installing MinGW is not a straightforward process, but it is easily managed by following the steps outlined below.
- Visit the MinGW download page at SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/
- Click the green Download button to start the download.
Run the installer once it has finished downloading.
The executable you have downloaded is NOT the MinGW program itself, but rather an installation manager called mingw-get that organizes the packages you wish to install.
- Install the mingw-get tool with the default settings.
- Allow the installation manager to finish running, then click Continue.
- Left-click the checkboxes next to the packages you wish to include in your MinGW installation and choose Mark for installation from the resultant drop-down menu.
- Mark at least the mingw32-base,msys-base, and mingw32-gcc-g++ (C/C++) repositories for installation; mark the ada, fortran, and/or objective-c repositories as well, if you intend to use those libraries.
- Open the Installation menu from the upper-left corner of the window and choose Apply changes.
- Click the Apply button on the next screen to begin downloading and installing all of the necessary packages for MinGW to run.
To open the MinGW shell, browse to C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\ and run the file called msys.bat
You may wish to create a shortcut to this file in order to avoid having to browse to this file location in the future.
You may leave the mingw-get tool on your PC to facilitate package updates in the future, or you may remove it without impacting MinGW's functionality.
Still need help?
For additional assistance, contact the IT Help Desk.