Acceptable Use Policy – Individual and University Responsibilities
Responsibilities of Users
Account holders are responsible for adhering to this Acceptable Use Policy.
- Computer accounts, passwords, and other types of authorization that are assigned to individual users should not be shared with others.
- The user should assign an obscure account password and change it frequently.
- The user should understand the level of protection each computer system automatically applies to files and supplement it, if necessary, for sensitive or confidential information.
- The computer user should be aware of computer viruses and other destructive computer programs, and take steps to avoid being a victim or unwitting distributor of these processes.
- Primary responsibility for resolution of problems related to the invasion of the user’s privacy or loss of data rests with the user.
- The computer user should consider whether information distributed using University resources should be protected from unauthorized use by the use of copyright notices or by the restriction of distribution of certain materials to the campus.
Responsibilities of the University
The University, through The Office of Information Technology, is responsible for providing central system and network security and for taking reasonable steps to protect central systems and networks and the information stored thereon from excessive or inappropriate use, damage, or destruction. These responsibilities include: