Our licensing allows anyone affiliated with the University - whether student, faculty, or staff - to use our SPSS software. As long as you have a ValpoNet account, you can take advantage!
Install Remote Desktop Software
Before you use SPSS for the first time, visit the App Store on your Mac to download and install the free "Microsoft Remote Desktop" app. You should only have to do this once.
- If you are off-campus, login to VPN via the SonicWALL Mobile Connect software.
- For a walkthrough on getting connected to the VPN, check out this article.
- Once you are successfully connected to the VPN, then you will be able to proceed with the steps below.
- Download the Microsoft Remote Desktop app from the App Store.
- Open the application so that you have an active window on your desktop.
- Double-click the SPSS25.rdp app that was provided to you.
- It can also be downloaded from Valpo WebStorage under the following file path: S:\RemoteApp\RDP files\SPSS25.rdp
- Saving the subsequent file to your Desktop will allow you to access it quickly in the future.
- If the .rdp file does not open through the Microsoft Remote Desktop app automatically, then you will need to two-finger click (or right-click with a mouse) on the .rdp file and choose "Open With." A list of apps will appear, from which you will need to choose the Microsoft Remote Desktop app. If you are having trouble with this step, then manually drag the .rdp file from the desktop into an open space in the Microsoft Remote Desktop window and it will add it automatically to the list of available remote connections.
- If a "Verify Certificate" box pops up, click Continue.
On the RemoteApp login screen, enter your ValpoNet credentials, making sure to format your username this way: valpo\username
Click OK. SPSS should launch.
Saving and Opening Files in the SPSS 25 Remote App
- Run the SPSS Remote App using the steps listed above.
- If using SPSS to begin a new dataset, then select "New Dataset" in the initial selection window.
- After you have created and filled the file with data, navigate to File → Save As and then to your H: drive folder as seen below:
- This will store the file safely on your network H: drive for ease of use in the future.
- In order to open the file from the H: drive the next time you use SPSS 25, start by launching the remote app.
- Select "Open another file..." and SPSS's file browser will open.
- Navigate to your unique H: drive folder that you previously saved the SPSS file to. This has the same name as your standard Valpo username, as seen in the image below:
- As long as your SPSS document has been saved to your H: drive, the document will be accessible via this method. The way in which you upload the file to the H: drive should not matter in this case. Simply select the file, click "Open," and you will be able to pick up where you left off in the SPSS 25 file.
Logout When Finished
When you are finished, Quit (command-Q) the Remote Desktop app, then disconnect your VPN session by clicking the Disconnect button in the Mobile Connect app.
LinkedIn Learning with Lynda.com content
More specific information on how to use SPSS is available via our LinkedIn Learning with Lynda.com content campus subscription. Login with your ValpoNet credentials.
Still need help?