Valpo's student records are protected by the federal law called FERPA. In accordance with this law, information about any student can only be released by Valpo to specific individuals if the student has granted permission for its release. Parents, legal guardians, and other individuals can be granted access by their student(s) through DataVU in order to see class schedule, financial, and grades information. Each student has the ability to grant, modify, or remove access to these designated individuals through DataVU.
We've got a "Granting Parent/Guest DataVU Access" video on our YouTube channel to help guide you through this process.
Keep Your Password Private
NEVER give your login information to anyone else, including parents, siblings, other relatives, friends, etc. This is a violation of Valpo's Acceptable Use Policy and can compromise your privacy and security, and can even result in your access being revoked. Instead, follow the instructions below to grant authorized access to select information for appropriate individuals.
Follow these instructions to setup parent/guest access in DataVU.
- Login with your ValpoNet credentials at https://datavu.valpo.edu.
- In the STUDENTS -> ALLOW PARENT/GUEST ACCESS menu, select ALLOW ACCESS.
- Read the FERPA release to understand what rights you're waiving, then click OK. Don’t worry, you're only acknowledging that you're waiving your FERPA rights to the individuals you choose on the next screen.
- By default, any family members linked to your records (parents, guardians, spouses) should appear in the Assign Options section. Check the respective boxes to grant each person access to the Student Menu, Financial Menu, or Grades Menu.
On the top of the screen, you'll see a chart of the menu options and the access it includes. You may allow access to any combination of menus.
- Click SUBMIT when you're finished.
- The selected individuals will receive an email message with instructions on how to login and access the information.
If you'd like to grant access to someone not already listed on your records, check the box at the bottom of the page next to "
Note: Only individuals with email addresses will be allowed to have the access.
Still need help?