We realize that phishing scams are getting more focused and more difficult to identify. While prevention and training are a great step, you may fall for the deceptive tricks of the trade from time to time. This information is designed to establish a protocol for those who might fall victim to such scams.
We realize this may be a scary time. If there is anything else we can do to assist you after following the steps below, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- First, immediately change your password or passwords through the Account Management System.
- Log in to your Valpo Gmail account to check several settings.
- Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP: Make sure your email isn't being forwarded to any other accounts. If there are entries here you don't recognize, remove them ASAP.
- Settings -> Accounts: Make sure no unwanted accounts have been granted access to your account. Delete any entries here you don't recognize or haven't entered yourself.
- Settings -> Filters and Blocked Addresses: Make sure no other filters have been added to your account. Delete any that you haven't personally setup.
- Make sure your personal computer has an anti-virus or anti-malware program on it. We have a related article that can help you. Be sure that this program updates and scans your machine regularly. Also, be sure that you only have one running on your machine at a time. Two or more can contradict each other and open your machine up to vulnerabilities.
- If you have fallen victim to the phishing scam and entered any personal information such as your social security number, please visit https://www.identitytheft.gov/ and follow the steps outlined there.
Still need help?