This set of instructions will cover meeting the requirements for students with a documented accommodation for extended time on assessments (tests, quizzes, exams) with the Access & Accessibility Resource Center (AARC).
If you have a group of students, you may consider creating a group in Blackboard for the student(s) with the accommodation in Blackboard. You will only have to do this once per semester. If you have already created the group, or you have only one student with accommodations, please skip down to the next section.
Creating Groups for Students with Common Accommodations
In the Course Management menu at the bottom of the left menu bar, select Users and Groups, then click on Groups.
2. On the Groups page, select Create.
3. In the Single Group list, select Self-Enroll or Manual Enroll.
4. Type a name and optional description. Make the group visible to students.
5. Skip to the bottom of the page and find the Membership section. Choose Add Members.
6. Choose the students from the pop-up screen. Click Submit and then Submit on the original screen.
Allowing Additional Time for Students with Accommodations
- When setting up your assessment (test, quiz, exam), on the Test Options page, find the Test Availability Section.
- Check the box for Set Timer and type in the minutes given for the majority of the students. You will set the timer for the students with accommodations in the subsequent steps.
3. Locate the Test Availability Exceptions section (about halfway down the page). Click on Add User or Group.
a. Choose individual students from the list, or…
b. Choose a group (usually listed under the student names) that was created in first section above
c. Click Submit
4. The student(s), or group, will now appear under the Add User or Group button. You may now make exceptions for the student(s) or groups.
a. Modification options are shown below with descriptions.
b. If no change is made to an option, the options for the entire class will be applied.
The above fields adjust the following values:
Attempts: Increase the number of attempts allowed
Timer: Increase the amount of time allowed
Availability: Customize the availability for a different time slot
5. Once all of your test options are complete, Click Submit on the bottom of the Test Options page.
For additional assistance, contact the IT Help Desk.