What is WebEx?
WebEx is a web-based software platform that allows you to hold video conferences, online meetings, and even distance learning classes. WebEx is great for sharing your screen, your voice, and high definition video to meeting attendees at a distance. Collaborating with a group on a project is a great way to use the system.
- WebEx Meeting Center – for rich, real-time web meetings on the fly or pre-scheduled
- WebEx Training Center – for a high-performance interactive online classroom experience
- WebEx Support Center – for real-time resolution of remote support issues over the web
- WebEx Event Center – for large online presentations, including webinars, company all-hands meetings and press and analyst calls.
Who can use it?
- Faculty can use WebEx Training Center to present your entire class to distance learners from anywhere to anywhere.
- Students can use WebEx to watch and attend class lectures, communicate with the instructor and collaborate with other students in the class with a host present. Students do not need accounts in order to attend Faculty led sessions.
- Staff can use to WebEx Connect to share documents, hold online meetings, and collaborate on team projects.
How does it work?
WebEx software is delivered over the web as you need it. The first time you attend a meeting, WebEx will automatically download a plugin to your computer.
You can use WebEx from any computer with an internet connection, and from most smartphones and tablets. You can schedule a WebEx lecture or meeting ahead of time, or start one spontaneously as needed.
If you use WebEx to invite someone to a lecture or meeting, they'll receive an email allowing them to attend. Attendees don’t have to have a WebEx account. Your invitation includes a link they can click to join you online and a short password (set by you) needed to access the meeting. During your meeting, you can video conference, lecture, share content, or just have a discussion.
Are there limits on how many people can connect in my session?
Sessions hosted by faculty and staff accounts are capped at 1000 attendees.
Sessions hosted by student accounts are capped at 8 attendees.
How do I get started?
Faculty and staff should visit valpo.webex.com and click on the Sign In button in the upper right,
Then the Sign Up button to request your account near the middle of the page
On the Sign Up page, please enter in the requested information. In that process, please use your @valpo.edu.edu email address and your Valponet (shorter) username when requesting the account.
Once our site administrator approves your account, you'll receive an email notification and you're ready to go.
Students should visit connect.valpo.edu and click the login button to request an account.
WebEx is not currently linked to your ValpoNet account. You'll need to maintain a separate password for this site.
Do you have any videos I can watch on how it works?
Sure! Our YouTube channel has a number of videos we created.
- Requesting accounts:
- Personal meeting rooms:
- WebEx Connect for students:
How do I get help?
WebEx has a lot of help built into their site and apps, so make sure to check the Help menus. Additionally, see the following.
- For help logging in, contact the IT Help Desk. https://helpdesk.valpo.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org, 219.464.5678
- For assistance joining meetings in session, contact WebEx support directly at 866.229.3239.
- For students, faculty, and staff attending online distance classes in the College of Nursing and Health Professions or the MBA program, contact the CONHP Associate Director of Technology via email@example.com.
Still need help?
For additional assistance, contact the IT Help Desk.