In order for faculty, staff and administrators at Valparaiso University to comply with FERPA Regulations, before they have a conversation ABOUT a student with anyone outside the University, there must be a confirmation that the student has waived their rights under FERPA and have specifically granted permission to the University personnel to discuss this information with specific individuals.
- The onus of satisfactory performance under FERPA requires that the University personnel understand what information can be shared and discussed with the authorized parties.
- Once you are satisfied with the identification of the individual, you must access a Colleague form in Production and access the mnemonic VPXP (View Proxy Permissions). (Some personnel will remember the XFER process which is now obsolete)
- On the VPXP form, the initial lookup is the Student (by name or ID).
- You will be presented with a list of all of the relatives/proxy individuals who are active in the program. It is a violation of the FERPA statutes to continue a conversation with any not included in the list. Just having the name is NOT sufficient. You will need know what specific access has been authorized. A student may indicate that the finances can be shared with a grandparent, but only grades can be shared with a parent. You will need to press the Detail icon (or F2).
- It is anticipated that the user will be familiar with the components of each of the permissions and will limit the conversation to only those specific areas where there is no END date.
- Depending on the nature of the conversation, it may behoove the staff member to make a copy of the authorization page for future reference.